Taking Psychedelics For Mental Health: Is It Helpful?Ty
Taking psychedelics for mental health is booming in every corner. Recent studies in the use of psychedelics in treating mental disorders are popularly increasing. After a long research, psychedelics treat several mental disorders that include post-traumatic stress disorder, substance use disorders, anxiety, depression, social anxiety in autistic adults, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and suicidal thoughts.
Psychedelic drugs such as psilocybin, lysergic acid diethylamide, dimethyltryptamine, entactogens, and dissociative anesthetics such as the N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist ketamine. All these substances in taking psychedelics for mental health help in inducing consciousness.
Taking psychedelics for mental health is a long way to study. Psychedelics help overcome overall mental health. Other people are still confused about the safety and effectiveness of psychedelics. We will give you some insightful knowledge of psychedelics and how it works.
What Are Psychedelics?
Psychedelics or hallucinogens are psychoactive drugs that cause changes in mood, perception, and cognitive processes. Psychedelics cause a person to hallucinate. For instance, hearing or seeing things that are impossible to exist. It also affects all the senses, specifically straight thinking and emotional aspects. Psychedelics have various kinds. Some occur in vines, trees, seeds, fungi, and leaves. Others are done in laboratories.
Types Of Psychedelics
Knowing the types of psychedelics is important before taking psychedelics for mental health. See for yourself below:
- LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide). It is made from a substance of ergot, a fungus that infects rye.
- Psilocybin. It is a natural substance found in mushrooms.
- Mescaline. It is derived from Mexican peyote and San Pedro cactus that produces the same effects of LSD.
- DMT (Dimethyltryptamine). It is similar to psilocin, an alkaloid found in psilocybin.
- Mushrooms. It is synthesized in the laboratory but is also a naturally occurring component of plants.
- DOM. It is a member of the DOx family of compounds known for high potency, long duration, and a mixture of psychedelic and stimulant effects.
- 2C-B (4-Bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine). It was a drug considered both psychedelic and mild entactogenic.
- Peyote (Lophophora williamsii). It is the most well-known, smallest and slowest-growing potent psychedelic cactus
- 25- NBOMe(N-methoxybenzyl). It is a series of drugs that have psychedelic effects.
How Are Psychedelics Used?
Taking psychedelics for mental health and other disorders are widely used by various cultures. But how do psychedelics work?
LSD, magic mushrooms, Mescaline and DMT are swallowed, smoked, or inhaled. Mushrooms are eaten fresh, brewed into tea, or cooked. It is mixed with tobacco or cannabis. Mescaline is swallowed. Peyote buttons are ground into a powder and smoked with cannabis or tobacco. The buttons are chewed or soaked in water. NBOMe is inactive if swallowed. The common method of taking them is under the tongue. People who use psychedelics don’t take or use them regularly. It may be weeks or months apart.
Effects Of Psychedelics
Taking psychedelics for mental health or other drugs carries risks in health issues. It is essential to be extra careful when taking any drugs.
Psychedelics effects are based on:
- Size, weight, and health condition.
- Depending on the person used to taking it
- It depends on the drugs taken at the same time
- The amount taken
- The drug strength.
The effects of psychedelics last for how many hours. Take a look at the result after taking it:
- Relaxation and wellbeing
- Seeing and hearing things that do not exist
- Blurred vision
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Breathing quickly
- Sweating and chills
After taking the drug, you will experience a ‘bad trip’ feeling, a disturbing hallucination. The long term effect of psychedelics is the ‘flashback’ feeling. The flashback experiences are unpleasant that cause severe anxiety while they last for minutes.
Benefits Of Psychedelics
- Improves mood
- Improves focus
- Increased energy
- Social benefits
- Cognitive benefits
- Reduced anxiety
Psychedelic Effects On Mental Health
Mental health is one of the reasons why people take psychedelics. According to research, taking psychedelics for mental health alleviates symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression. Studies found that for people taking psychedelics who suffer from mental health issues results in peace of mind.
Psychedelic Effects On Well-being
Psychedelics improve moods such as greater happiness, peace, calm, reduced depression, optimism, and a better outlook on life.
It also improves mental clarity.
How Long Does Psychedelic Effects Last?
Psychedelic effects depend on the number of drugs taken. Others are factors such as taking the drug with an empty stomach. LSD effects are slow. DMT takes a quick effect. Psychedelic drugs are quickly passed through the body. It can have long-lasting psychological effects.
Using Psychedelics With Other Drugs
The effects of mixing psychedelics with other drugs such as alcohol, prescription medications, and over-the-counter medicines are unpredictable. Mixing psychedelics with stimulant drugs increases the stimulant effects and increases heart rate and extreme stress. Stimulants also increase anxiety that leads to negative experiences. Combining psychedelics with depressant drugs like alcohol reduces coordination and increases vomiting. Alcohol also decreases the psychedelic effects.
Health And Safety Tips
Taking psychedelics for mental health is not safe. If you decide to use them, you should consider the following:
- It is hard to predict the effects and strength of psychedelics because its strength and potency vary.
- People with mental health conditions should avoid using psychedelics regularly.
- Taking psychedelics with a familiar environment may eliminate unpleasant mood and emotional issues.
The use of psychedelics is dangerous when:
- Taken with alcohol or other drugs.
- Driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Judgment or motor coordination is required
- The person has mental health issues.
Taking psychedelics for mental health should be given attention and examination. These compounds remain questionable and not fully understood.
People’s experiences and personal benefits of taking psychedelics depend on the number of drugs taken. When you have the guts of trying psychedelics to solve your mental health problems and other health issues, be careful in taking it as it might harm your overall health. It is also essential to understand the effects of psychedelics on the body and mind of a person. Before taking psychedelics, be prepared for its effects. This is something you may look into in BMW if you want to understand more.